Thursday, March 12, 2009

Extreme Words

"His words hang in the air, vibrating like an electric wave. We know what they mean. You're illegal, and we can push this further. Don't make a fuss. We hold the cards." Page 82

This whole thing surprised me. Certain words can mean so much more than you thought they could. While everything in this paragraph got to me, "we hold the cards." was the one that got to me. The sheer power of that phrase is shocking. I found it kind of mean. Why does someone deserve something like this. This being the struggle of a better life and specifically immigration.

3 comments:

  1. i totally agree
    they shouldn't do stuff like that.
    it frightens the immigrants even more than the presence of 'immigration' does! if they (immigration) could just be nice for a change, and easier to work with, maybe they would be more well liked.
    ~ari

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with both of you. The "we hold the cards" part really got to me too. The intensity of those words hit me like a bowling ball. I really like what Ari said about "it frightens the immigrants even more than the presence of 'immigration' does! if they (immigration) could just be nice for a change, and easier to work with, maybe they would be more well liked."
    Great B(log)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with all 3 of you. "We hold the cards" got to me too...the way Marina Budhos wrote it was really good. I agree with Sarah. If immigration could just be easier, maybe there wouldn't be so many illegal immigrants. Good work!

    ReplyDelete